While every holiday come with their general traditions, I love how every family introduces their own.
From fun activities to unique side dishes, no two families celebrate the same and I think that’s what makes this time of year so special.
From the moment my husband – then boyfriend- and I had been talking about Thanksgiving and Christmas, I knew he was a family man and that was definitely one of the reasons why I fell for him.
One of the things he mentioned that was part of their family tradition amongst many, was this sweet potato casserole his mom makes.
The first year we were dating, he was visiting around Thanksgiving and we decided to host a dinner. I got a hold of his mother for the recipe and made it for our turkey dinner. That was my first introduction to it and honestly so worth the wait.
It is absolutely one of my favorite holiday side, although I think it comes around more often then just for Christmas and Thanksgiving.
While it is delicious as it is, it can be a tad sweet. And you guys know me, I can’t pass up an excuse to make a dish a little healthier so I can enjoy more often without guilt!
So instead, I used some apple to sweetened the yams, who are already sweet on their own. As for the topping, I stuck with oats but added a little bit of oat flour.
I suppose this can be made with sweet potatoes or yams. Honestly, I know they are two different vegetable but in my opinion it pretty much taste the same either way.
This is a nice option for a side dish for big dinner since you can have this prepped ahead of time then just throw it in the oven half an hour before you are ready to eat!
Now it’s your turn. What are some of your favorite holiday dishes?
- 6 yams
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 red apple
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Pre heat oven at 375F
- Peel and cube yams then bring to a boil in a pot of water. Cook until fork tender or 10-12 minutes.
- Slice the apple and red onion. Place on a parchment paper line baking sheet and roast in the oven until soft.
- While everything is cooking, mix together the oats, almond flour, melted coconut oil and maple syrup then set aside.
- Once the apple, onions and yams are cooked, place in a mixing bowl and blend using immersion blender. Alternatively, you can place them in your food processor. Blend until smooth with the coconut milk.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper then place in individual ramekin or 8 inch baking dish.
- Top with oat mixture and place in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the top is lightly golden. You can also briefly broil at the end.
- Optional: Top with pecan and serve.