Who doesn’t love a good slice of pizza but ever wish pizza was good for you?
What if I was to tell you it can be!
That’s right, you heard me. Pizza can be super nourishing. It’s all about the ingredients you choose. And a prime example is this salmon pizza, full of delicious ingredients but that also serve a purpose.
Salmon is a great main ingredient for this pizza since it is a lean protein full of omega-3s. Side note: did you know that a pregnant women needs between 40 and 70 grams of proteindaily to nourish her growing baby. That’s a lot of protein! Omega-3s are also super beneficial throughout pregnancy. Not only is it essential for the development of your baby nervous system but some studies have shown that it can prevent pre-term labor and lower risk of preeclampsia.
I also like to use a home made herb greek yogurt as a base since it gives the pizza a nice tangy flavour while also adding to the protein count. Throw on a nice layer of raw spinach and you now have a perfect bed of anti-oxidants to lay out the rest of your ingredients on!
The rest is really up to your imagination! I used sun-dried tomatoes, black olives and red onions. You may think red onions are only added for taste but it shouldn’t surprise you by now that they also serve a purpose. They are full of vitamin C and can help boost immunity, they can help regulate blood pressure which is important during pregnancy and are such a good source of dietary fiber.
And cheese! of course you can’t have a pizza without cheese and this pizza pairs really well with some crumbled feta. Added bonus: you don’t need a lot since it packs a lot of flavour.
There you have it! A perfectly acceptable and healthy pizza.
- 1 gluten free pizza crust
- 1 salmon filet
- 1 cup spinach loosely packed
- 1/4 cup black olives
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 red onion sliced
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dill
- Preheat oven at 375F
- Place salmon on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, season with salt and pepper and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, pepper and dill then spread a thin layer over your pizza crust.
- Cover with a layer of fresh spinach.
- Add the olives, sundried tomatoes and red onions evenly over the pizza.
- Pull salmon out of the oven when cooked and gently flake with a fork. Place over the pizza.
- Sprinkle feta over everything then place in the oven.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until crust is lightly golden. You can also broil for a couple minutes.