Anyone that’s ever been to my house and looked in the fridge has seen the big Tupperware full of these delicious snacks! They are definitely a staple in our house for a few reasons but mostly because they are delightful. Luckily, they also have a few benefits, especially for pregnant mamas!
Oats being the main ingredient of these little balls of goodness, make them a good source of protein, fiber and B vitamins. Fiber is beneficial for anyone’s diet since it can help with bowel function, but can be particularly important for pregnant women since constipation is quite common during pregnancy. B vitamins are a vital part of pregnancy as they aid with the baby’s brain and nervous system development. Proteinwill help support the tissue growth of the fetus and the growing mother!
Although oats are the main ingredient, the real shinning stars are the flax seeds. These little golden flakes are quite literally gold as far as essential fatty acids go. Flax seeds are packed with Omegas which are crucial for pregnant women.
Just take a look:
- They promote healthy development of the fetus’ brain
- They reduce the risk for pregnancy-induced hypertension
- They reduce the risk for gestational diabetes
- They reduce inflammation associated with pain and discomfort
And finally, this snack is high in complex carbohydrates which will provide sustained energy. So, whether you are pregnant or not, I’d say you now have a few reasons to head to the kitchen and make yourself a batch of flax balls!
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Mix together all dry ingredients and vanilla.
- Add the honey and mix well.
- Add the peanut butter and stir thoroughly
- Set in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Roll into approximately 1 inch balls.
- Store in airtight container in the fridge.