We are wrapping up this month of meatless recipes with these chickpea meatballs. I have truly enjoyed branching out and including more plant-based protein on our menu. I think a lot of people are also trying to include more in their lifestyle and that’s great.
Restaurants and brands have also tried to be more plant-based inclusive but that, in my opinion, is a whole different story. These “meat” burgers and breakfast sandwiches often resemble more a chemistry experiment made in a lab then something we can recreate in our kitchen which is not necessarily a win in my book.
There are lots of other alternatives that can be used with much simpler ingredients if you are trying to include more plant-based meals and this is exactly what I was trying to showcase this month,
With that being said, I have tried making a few different versions of meatless meatballs over the years and I often found they either lacked flavor or the texture was off. And being a texture sensitive person, that usually makes or breaks a dish for me.
I think the key to making a good meat free meatball or patty is mushrooms! And this is coming from a girl who doesn’t really like mushrooms. But when you use them in these types of meals you don’t necessarily taste the flavor but it does add a nice hearty flavor you would typically get from meat.
Like I mentioned, obviously texture is huge. While achieving a meat-like texture is almost impossible unless you are turning it into a science experiment. These meatballs were definitely not one of those but the texture was good enough to not throw me off too much so that was perfect.
They were pretty good on their own and would have been tasty served over jasmine rice but also made a nice addition to tomato sauce and pasta.
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 cups mushrooms diced
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1 cup panko breading
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are brown and tender then set aside.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas and add to a food processor with the sundried tomatoes, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Pulse until broken down.
- Add in the mushrooms, egg and feta and continue to pulse until a uniform mixture is formed.
- Incorporate the breadcrumbs and keep pulsing until mixture is uniform.
- Form 1 inch balls and set aside. Heat 1 tbsp of avocado oil in a large skillet and place the meatballs.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes aside or until browned all around. Cook in batched and avoid crowding the pan.
- If serving with tomato sauce, Add in the sauce when the final side is browned.
- Alternatively you can serve on top of jasmine rice.