I’m sure I can’t be the only one trying hard to hold on to that sliver of summer we are having.
Conveniently, our garden took forever to get going and is just starting to produce a half decent crop. So cue in all the fresh veggies.
If you’ve been around the last few weeks, you know I have posted a couple BBQing recipe because, well, it’s technically summer so why wouldn’t I. So while you may not need inspire from this angle, having some ideas for a good side dish may be helpful.
I like this one because it is super simple and it is a great switch up from your traditional salad and an upgrade from plain steamed green beans!
Hopefully this garden keeps going strong for a few more weeks.
Green bean and tomato salad
- 2 cups green beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Trim off the ends of the beans and steam on the stove for 6 to 8 minutes or until just tender. Rinse under cold water to stop the cooking.
- While the beans are steaming, toast your almonds in a pan briefly on low heat until golden brown.
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half and place in a mixing bowl.
- Mix together in a small bowl the oil, dijon mustard. honey and lemon juice then set aside.
- When your beans and ready and rinsed, pat dry then place in the bowl containing your tomatoes. Add in the almonds and the dressing and toss gently.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.