Finally! The sun is shinning and the snow is melting!
It may still be a tad early to say that summer is coming but these warmer temperatures sure have me excited and thinking about all these mouth watering summery dishes.
And it’s never too early to make it feel like summer in my kitchen. Besides, isn’t Friday taco day? Or maybe its Taco Tuesday? Well regardless, I think everyday should be taco day.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to tacos. They can be meaty and juicy; light and fresh with fish; or even meatless and still full of vegetable protein.
For today’s creation, I decided to opt for cod as a protein and pair it with an amazing pineapple and avocado salsa. Honestly, this salsa could probably just be a recipe on its own. It’s light, fresh and tropical and I could just eat it by the spoon full. And you can go ahead and do that too but just make sure you keep some for your tacos!
Besides being delicious, pineapple actually has some amazing properties when it comes to digestion. It contains the digestive enzyme bromelain and can happily be eaten following a meal. This enzyme also has anti-inflammatory on the body.
We all know by now how beneficial avocados can be but let’s be honest; can you really have tacos without avocados??
I have talked about the benefits of salmon before but cod is also another fish that falls into the healthy fat category. Besides being a great option for a lean protein, adding oily fish like salmon, trout, cod and haddock can be super beneficial for your cardiovascular system. It also provides essential fatty acids which are super important when it comes to fertility and pregnancy nutrition.
But enough ingredient highlight and let’s get to the recipe!
Fish tacos with pineapple salsa
- 4 small whole grain tortillas see notes
- 2 cod filets
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning see notes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 cup pineapple diced small
- 1/2 cup cucumber diced small
- 1/2 cup frozen corn cooked
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 small white onion diced small
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- Combine all ingredients for the salsa but the avocado, mix well and let sit in the fridge.
- Mash the 1/2 avocado and combine with the yogurt, lime juice and 1 tsp cilantro and set aside covered in the fridge.
- Heat a medium size frying pan on high heat and melt 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Pat your fish dry and cut length wise in two pieces. Season with cajun spice on both sides of the filets.
- Add to your hot pan, cover and reduce heat to medium-high. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side depending on the size of your filet.
- Spread avocado crema onto your tortillas then place a piece of fish on top.
- Dice avocado and toss with your salsa then place on top of your fish.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy.
- For gluten free recipe, substitute for gluten free tortilla. You may also look to gluten free cajun seasoning or chili powder.
- The longer the salsa sits in the fridge, the more flavorful it will be. I recommend making it a couple hours ahead while making sure to omit the avocado until ready to serve.