Like promised yesterday, I am sharing with you a recipe that will help your postpartum body reinstate hormonal balance. These muffins will do so by providing phytoestrogen-rich ingredients which will lead your system to slow down its production of estrogen. This will help decrease the estrogen dominance that occurs after birth.
Estrogen dominance not only occurs after birth but is often the cause of PMS symptoms. Which means you now have another reason to get baking. Common symptoms of this hormonal imbalance are decreased sex drive, mood swings, depression, bloating, fatigue and thyroid dysfunction.
When using fruits or vegetables to address estrogen balance, make sure you select organic varieties. Unfortunately, pesticides will create exogenous estrogen and will likely aggravate the situation further.
If you would like to find out more about phytoestrogen and how they can affect postpartum health make sure to check out our post on the subject here.
Carrot and apple muffin
- 1.5 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup palm sugar
- 1 cup grated apple granny smith
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- Preheat oven at 350F
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and sugar.
- Add apples and carrots to your mixture.
- Combine yogurt, milk and vanilla and add to your mixing bowl.
- Combine with your dry ingredients until you have a smooth even texture.
- Spoon into greased or lined muffin tin and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Store in airtight container on counter for 2-3 days. Also freezes really well. Avoid storing in the fridge.