A few years ago, I would’ve told my husband I was making meatless tacos and he would’ve laughed and told me to stop kidding and throw in some shrimp or something.
Funny enough, he brought up how he thought we should include more plant based protein in our diet. Don’t get me wrong, the man still would pick a steak over any meatless meal no matter how delicious it may be. But that was an welcomed comment.
With that being said, I still have to make those plant-based protein meals edible. For the husband and hopefully for the kids. I’ve tried lots of recipes with black beans, and my favorite thus far was some black bean brownies. I should really get this recipe on the blog because OMG they were tasty.
The hubs took them to work and nobody was the wiser.
Well I’m here to tell you, this one here is a close second! These tacos were so delicious, even I was surprised!
The black beans provided an awesome base and those cauliflower packed the perfect crunch.
They were most definitely super messy to eat, but a good taco oughta be messy!
Don’t make the same mistake I made though. The avocado, which is a must in a taco if you ask me, needs to be spread at the bottom! This will help keep at least one ingredient in the shell.
This version was too spicy for the kids, but the husband really enjoyed them. You could lessen the amount of seasoning or portion some out without seasoning if you wanted to serve it up to some adventurous kids.
Serve it up with a spicy sriracha and this is a perfect taco!
Cauliflower and black bean tacos
- 1 small cauliflower head
- 1 can black beans
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 2 limes
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 6 small whole wheat tortillas
- Preheat oven at 400F
- Roughly chop cauliflowers into small florets and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Mix together the garlic powder, salt, oregano, smoked paprika, cumin and chili powder.
- Drizzle a little bit of avocado oil on the cauliflower and sprinkle the amount of seasoning desired, making sure to leave 1 tsp and coat evenly. Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Rinse and drain then let dry on a piece of paper towel.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayo, sriracha sauce, honey and lime juice then set aside.
- Take the remaining seasoning and toss it in with the black beans. Take the cauliflower out of the oven after 20 minutes, add the black beans and return to the heat for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, mash some avocado and place a layer on each tortilla.
- When the cauliflower mixture is done, pull out of the oven and distribute between tacos.
- Top with a drizzle of sriracha mayo and sprinkle with feta.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice and serve.