I don’t know about you guys but I’m a sucker for a nice presentation. They say we eat with our eyes first and I would have to agree. It is way more appetizing to eat a nice looking plate than a goulash bowl! Although sometimes those are the best kind of meals haha.
Which I guess explains why food photography can really make you drool.
Smell and texture also have their part to play in whether or not we will enjoy a food or at least be more inclined to try it! I am particularly sensitive to certain texture. While I enjoy the taste of some food, often the texture will totally throw me off.
While I am no professional chef, I love to take a couple extra minutes to place food in an attractive way on the plate. Even if it is just for a couple minutes.
I have also taking this approach with the kids too! While they don’t particularly eat this salad, it does help when I’m giving them some food they may not necessarily enjoy or have had before.
So I hope this salad its the mark for you guys too visually, but even if it doesn’t it is totally worth a try. The combination of mandarin and salmon really throws out some awesome Asian vibes!
Asian salmon salad
- 2 filets salmon
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups packed spinach
- 1/2 cup cucumber diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 carrot shredded
- 2 madarin oranges peeled
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing well then set aside at room temperature.
- Heat a tbsp of sesame oil in a pan on medium-high heat.
- Pat salmon dry and season with garlic powder then sear for 3-4 minutes. make sure to reduce heat to mediun after initial sear.
- Flip an cook until desired doneness. 3 to 6 minutes.
- Mix spinach an some of the dressing in a bowl. Store the rest in the fridge.
- Separate onto 2 plates. Divide the rest of the ingredients onto each plate.
- Place a filet on each salad then serve.